Sunday, November 20, 2011

Seven Devils All Around Me

So this was my attempt to dress up as Florence Welch, of Florence and the Machine, and it didn't turn out too badly. Well, the birthday boy knew who I was and that was enough for me.

A whole year today since I first met Nick. I can tell you right now that exactly a year ago (to the minute) I had pretty much given up on meeting him at all. I'm kind of tempted to tell the whole story, but here's all you need to know:

- we met online
- because we are both music geeks
- and we met up at the We Are Scientists gig

At 10:30 pm on the 20th November last year, I was passing it off as one of those things. We'd failed to meet up outside the venue. Once inside I had patchy signal and the place was packed. By this point I was tipsy (from having too many drinks to settle my nerves) and I was trying to keep my friend Rachael from hitting the girl in front of us (she was small, but very annoying. The girl, that is, not Rach').

So I figured I'd tried, you know? It was just one of those things.

The gig ended (WAS were amazing, but that goes without saying) and Rach' and I grabbed some merch and then got into the huge queue for the cloakroom. I was dancing around 'cause my shoes hurt and Rach' was close to passing out from exhaustion (since she'd been at a midnight Harry Potter showing the night before). We got to the front and Rach' couldn't find her cloakroom ticket.

I glanced at my phone whilst she frantically pawed through her purse.

I had a text from Nick. Well, several actually. He was waiting for me at the fire exit. He'd be wearing a check shirt.

Oh God, I immediately thought, I bet he saw me doing my 'damn these shoes suck' dance.

And so we met. And I talked (shockingly). My ride was waiting (rather impatiently) but there was time for a drink and conversation. One year later, here I am.

No comments: