Tuesday, March 01, 2011

If I Rise

My Reaction To... The Oscars

I've actually seen quite a few of the films nominated for best film this year (Black Swan, Inception, 127 Hours, The King's Speech, The Social Network and Toy Story 3). So, after my bitterness a few years ago at Little Miss Sunshine missing out, I had a vested interest in this year.

Needless to say, I think it was all a bit predictable. I could've guessed Colin Firth would get best actor, Natalie Portman would get best actress and 'The King's Speech' would get best picture. Doesn't mean I agreed with them. In fact, Natalie Portman is one of the few choices I concur with (that and Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross getting Best Original Score).

I'm sad to see Inception be so greatly overlooked. Yes, it scooped some technical awards (Visual Effects, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing) which it richly deserved, but I felt it was the most original film up for Best Picture and should have, at least, been given Best Screenplay.

Another big loser was 127 Hours, a clear choice for Best Adapted Screenplay.

And Black Swan was a more deserving winner for Best Directing, in my humble opinion.


Disagreements aside, I feel this has been an excellent year for films. The very fact that I'm even remotely interested in what happened at the Academy Awards is proof enough for me.


No comments: