Tuesday, January 18, 2011

And See It All, Get To Sleep Now, Get To Sleep So Easily

The weight of the day settled upon your shoulders as you slumped back into the pillows, those brilliant eyes drifting shut. My first instinct was to shake you, to demand back the attention that had been so lavishly exercised upon me. But as a peace settled over the room, my hand was stilled.

My mind told me to pick up a pen. To carve these moments into the record books so I could remember them always.

The words wouldn't come.

My body told me to curl up beside you. To find a place under your chin where I could hide from everything, everyone.

I remained frozen.

Every breath had bore a thousand wishes, each as fragile as the next, given flight with a gasp, a shudder. The air crackled, my skin burned, secrets on your lips made my body yearn. Soft embraces became hard edges, blurring pleasure and pain, my malleable emotions were beyond control, never to be the same again.

I could grow immune to smiles, I could accept the distant miles, I could learn every single detail, I could get past the fear to fail.

But I cannot hide from what you elicit, the whisper of what lies ahead. It lurks in every corner, the only thing left unsaid.

No comments: