Sunday, November 28, 2010

Can I Wake You Up? Is It Late Enough?


Does anyone know who this fellow is on the back of my cover of Harry Potter? Most people have a picture of Dumbledore on theirs. I can't think who he might be!

So Wednesday night I went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. And Thursday morning I was struck down with one gnarly cold. Total gnarlesville. I was on the cash and wrap on Friday and I don't really remember any of it. Or how I got home. I'm still a bit meh, but staying in all yesterday (and drinking lemsips, which I abhore) has got me pretty much back on my feet. Which is good cause Friday is a big deal and I need to be fighting fit again!

So, everyone has been chipping in their opinions about the film. I'll throw my hat into the ring.

I was eleven when my Dad bought me the first book (you'll realise what a strange occurrence this is if you know my Dad). I consider my generation to be the ones who have really grown up with Harry Potter (and now we're all in our twenties!). Though I'm hardly an obsessive fan, I love the Harry Potter books and imagine I will read them to my own children (should I ever have some). So the films are something of a sticking point with me.

Mainly because they're bad. Really bad. The first and second were okay but the kids' acting was (and still is if you watch them now) cringeworthy. The third was good (despite huge chunks of plot missing from it). The fourth was abysmal. The fifth picked up again. And then the sixth was the worst yet.

I went to the cinema feeling a little hesitant (unlike Kirsty who was full of Horcrux chatter). But it was actually pretty good. The acting was decent. the new additions were well picked (Bill Nighy! It ain't an English film without him!) and there were no gaping huge plot holes. I was suitably impressed.

And did I cry when Hedwig died? I'm only human you know.

2 comments:

cath_skinny said...

Nicholas Flamel? He's on the back of mine and you can see something in his pocket that I would presume to be the philosohper's stone.

It's cos it's one of the early ones. The bit that annoys me is that the back of mine informs me that Harry was rescued by an owl. After a number of years of printing this they must have realised its inaccuracy so they changed it to say he was rescued by a beetle-eyed giant of a man.

xxx

flowery mug said...

I was going to put similar to what Catherine just wrote :)
I would've thought Flamel.X