Sunday, October 03, 2010

You Spent The Evenin Unpacking Books From Boxes

Don't hate me.

I'm debating what I want for Christmas. I've got a lot of gift giving events to think about right now. Which I love. I'm a big lover of spending money and searching for the perfect present. Although lately it's ocurred to me that giving of your time is a much bigger sacrifice than giving of your money. Time isn't something I can spare right now.

Back to the point. My parents give me a Christmas budget each year for a present. My Grandmother will generally add to this. So I have a price range. And I've been toying with the idea of getting a kindle.

Digital books are a much slower revolution than digital music and a lot of purists find the idea of electronic books abhorrent. I'm on the fence. But a kindle would make perfect sense for my commutes. I'm practically eating books right now and carrying them around/waiting for them to arrive/storing them once they've been read is becoming something of a headache.

I don't consider electronic books to be a moral debate. Publishing houses are still getting the same return without the cost of printing. And I don't wanna be one of those people who refuses to let go of the past.

But books aren't like CDs, or even vinyl. There's a certain romanticism to being sat in a park/on a train/curled up in bed with a good book.

Ohhhhhhhhh, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know!

1 comment:

rutu said...

sure.. u could still use good old books... even after owning a kindle..