Monday, March 15, 2010

(Wo)Man Flu

I've been struck down! On this most sacred of weeks - FRANK-T-FEST-T!

So I'm being good and trying to get better. I'll be better for Wednesday, right? Women tend to fight off colds quicker than men.

I was chilling in Stoke-On-Trent's Pumpkin for nigh on three hours on Thursday morning. Which gave me just enough time to finish Persuasion. Which, as my last post may have hinted at, gave me a lot to think about too.


***SPOILER ALERT***


Okay, so I was initially unfair to Persuasion. I realise now that the slow, dull start was completely necessary. And I can see the attraction to Captain Wentworth - he has that fiery, passionate temperament that plenty of women go weak at the knees for. But I stand by my earlier opinions. I still find a Henry Tilney completely preferable to a Captain Wentworth.

Which is not to say I didn't enjoy Persuasion. I really did. It was a lot funnier than I expected and my sympathy for Anne was, at times, overwhelming. Jane Austen continues to impress me with her excellent understanding of the nature of people in general. And her tidy endings - something I have yet to master.

Next up is Emma. I'm really rocking this one!

No comments: