Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Henry Tilney

Us bloggers have a tendency for whining. In fact so many blogs are just one long, exhausting moan. I wish bloggers would realise that three lines into a huge moan, most people stop reading. Unless the blogger is pregnant. A pregnancy moan/rant is downright entertaining as far as I'm concerned.

The temptation to moan in this space sometimes overwhelms me. But what do you care? So lets just sidestep the landmine and move on.

Moving on.

Isn't it cool/annoying how you can really dislike a band someone recommends, but then you keep listening to them because they remind you of that person. Suddenly you love The Shins/The Cure/The Academy Is and you're not sure quite how it happened. Damn them.

Alas it is half term. I'm sincerely trying to remember how much fun I used to have during half term in order to keep myself from resenting the kids/teenagers running riot in Primark. But no moaning, remember? It's only a week, it'll pass quickly enough.

The new series of Skins is surpassing my expectations. The first episode was a bit naff, but the two since (Naomi and Cook) have been pretty decent. I know a lot of people would disagree, but I think I prefer the second generation of Skins characters.

And I finished Northanger Abbey! On Sunday actually.


***SPOILER ALERT***

So I was only thirty pages or so away from the ending and expecting a nice, tidy happily ever after between Catherine and darling Henry when suddenly she's kicked out of the Abbey! I then hastened through the next thirty pages, desperate for my happy ending. I couldn't believe the General kicked her out because she wasn't rich! I knew stupid Thorpe had to be involved too! Grr!

No deep meditation followed me finishing Northanger Abbey. But I did find Henry Tilney to be exactly my kind of knight in shining armour. Subtly handsome, smart, funny and kind. His dialogue had me in giggling fits on the train.

I think sometimes we deceive ourselves into believing that we want big, flowery declarations of love complete with poetry and comparing thee to a summer's day. And don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a nice declaration occasionally. But for the long-term we all really want a Henry. Dependable, sensible, hard-working and just good.

Yet another addition to my favourite fictional men.

1 comment:

Little Newman said...

I loved Northanger Abbey but I think Persuasion was my favourite :3
I read Pride and Prejudice the most (it's the easiest, for me) and I haven't been able to read Sense and Sensibility a second time, for a really strange reason.
I think it's because the version I've had access to is baby pink and endorsed by Meg Cabot -.-

I have yet to read Emma and Mansfield Park...

Also PONYO thankyou I must now go and see it :D
They alays get everything before us, stoopid American's *grumble*we were here first *grumble*