Thursday, October 29, 2009

You'll Never Really Understand

Lately I've been thinking about change. I'm happy to sit by and watch as everything around me changes. All but one thing.

The stadium is my lifeboat. It's work. Underpaid, overrated and sometimes it drives me crazy. But it's also magical. Work can cure almost anything. It is the one place in the world where I am always useful and reliable and welcome.
I've given up trying to make anyone understand what I find so comforting about my job. I guess it must be difficult to look past the grossness of not only what I do (um, which often involves sticking my hands down plugholes/grids/food disposals) but also my position in the food chain (second, only just above the commis chefs).

Every shift at my job is different. Every night/day has it's own story/scenario/gossip. Petty, but I love it.
Seriously, at what other job do you walk into a lift that already has ex-England player David Platt stood in it? Or see Mario Melchiott fart in the corridor (true story)? Or cater for Tony Blair (we all had to get police checked for that one)? Is your job that cool?


But really it's the people I work with too. I've never been able to act so immature and actually call it work. From hiding car keys, to sanitiser fights, childish pranks (involving paper hats) and wars with the KP's sworn enemy (scum-sucking waiters!). Some shifts I spend more time giggling than anything else.

When I graduated, I really had no idea what came next. I'm still figuring it out. And the stadium is giving me all the time I need to do just that. It keeps me focused, keeps me in the black, keeps me social. It never abandons me. At a time in my life when I really have no fucking clue what I'm supposed to do, who I am, who I want to be... it helps to have somewhere where I know exactly what to do, who to be.

And I guess that's why I just can't give it up. Not yet.

No comments: