Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Jim Is Eagle

I was sat in class yesterday (ahem, correction, the biggest snoozefest three hour class I have ever sat through in a FREEZING COLD room) and I started thinking about one of my old teachers.

I took Philosophy at A-level three years ago. It was supposed to be a bit of a joke, a bit of fun to take on top of my other classes. Thing is, out of all my a-levels its been the most beneficial to me once I reached Uni. Anyway, in my first year of Philosophy I had this truly awesome teacher... Mike Atherton.

Philosophy class kind of became a haven cause of him. He was giggly and kind and fun. He never told us off, or looked down on us. We had the most fun ever in Philosophy. We were in a class full of oddballs and Mike basically represented our leader. We put on Philosophical plays, we spent afternoons talking about Plato, we made a lot of rather weird posters, we ate gingerbread worms and soup and whole 2 litres of pepsi...

It was kind of like a Philosophy family.

I've had a lot of good teachers in my lifetime and though Mike isn't necessarily the one who's influenced me most, he's one of the people I often think about. The sort of person who if you showed up on his doorstep (not that I would) you just know he'd help you regardless...
Isn't it funny how the people that drift in and out of your life affect who you become? So many bad people have changed me, but so many good people have made me who I am today.

No comments: