Sunday, September 14, 2008

Cruel To Be Kind

My friend Danny has been gone a day. And already I want him back.

Needless to say, he isn't happy. And I am possibly one of the few people who can understand exactly how he feels. I know what it's like, sat in that little cinderblock prison and asking yourself 'what now?'

I'm so worried. But I know what I must do. 99% of me wants to tell him to come home and I'll even go and get him myself. But the 1% that is rational and wise knows that I can't. I wussed out and so often I regret it. And at the time, I had friends who were telling me the same, stick with it, just give it a little longer, it'll get better I know it. I didn't listen to them. I hope Dan listens to me.

Lately I've been learning that good friends don't always agree with you, they don't always tell you what you want to hear. A good friend tells it like it is, they tell you what you need to hear. And that's rather difficult to do, as it turns out.

So I can do a lot for Dan (text him aplenty, go visit in a couple of weeks, send him letters and care packages) but I mustn't, mustn't, mustn't let him give up. Because Dan is my friend and I don't want him to end up like me.

No comments: