Friday, April 04, 2008

York

Yesterday myself and my Grandmother (Queen G) went to York for the day. Allow me to explain.

Queen G is nigh on impossible to buy presents for. There's just nothing that she wants. The few things that she does appreciate have been exhausted over the past few birthdays and Christmases. Finally, I've just decided that Queen G would rather have my time than yet another necklace. So for Christmas I promised her a day out (financed by moi, of course).

Seeing as I know York like the back of my hand and it is somewhere that everyone can find something to love about, it seemed like the perfect choice. So 2 and a half hours worth of train journey later, we found ourselves in York blinking in the sunlight of what turned out to be a lovely Spring day.

Let me take this opportunity to express my deep and abiding love for York. It is picturesque and modern, cultured but still inherently English. It holds many sweet memories for me and I am quite sad that we won't be returning there this summer. As such I relished the chance to revisit a few of my favourite places.

The first place we went to was the Minster. Queen G, being a devout Catholic, thoroughly enjoyed that. I enjoyed going to the gift shop and buying a new York Minster key ring and some York Minster putty for Vic (tis tradition). I did not enjoy when my phone went off and my 'Shawn of the Dead' ringtone bounced off the high walls. Eeep.

We also checked out the Shambles (manditory) and while Queen G went to check out the Edinburgh Woolen Mill (snooze fest) I had a peek in the bookshop and saw... bookshop boy! Also on the Shambles I drooled over the wooden guitar miniatures and brooded over the loss of the Matt Bellamy miniature stratocaster (*weeps*) last summer.

There were also a couple of places that just held some significance for me. York's Yummy Chicken being one. It was a running joke all last summer and just looking at that sign made me giggle to myself. I sure got some funny looks while I was taking this picci.
And the other being Fibbers. I am devastated that I never got to go in. One day I will, I swear it. Last summer we caught the bus near Fibbers and I became fascinated with the place. I was especially gutted because InMe and Noah and the Whale were playing there only a few days after we left. Gutted.

And finally we went to The Windmill (a sweet pub that does the best Pimms and lemonade in the world) and had a lovely Caesar salad and sat contemplating the lovely sunshine. As I sat there, just for a second, it felt like last summer had been reincarnated. Weird.

No comments: